Saturday, June 6, 2009

XV: Clarke IV


I went for drinks with Clarke at the K-Bar last night.

“On the radio,” he hollered at me, “they were talking about marriage problems.”

The bar was loud, and working its hardest to make you imagine you weren’t in a small town. Clarke continued. “The radio guy said that in broken marriages one of the main complaints of women was that their husbands didn’t do an equal share of the housework.”

“Yeah?” I said, encouragingly.

Clarke continued. “But the thing is, the guy said, the thing is that -that, if men were living on their own they would actually do less housework. So that in a marriage a man ends up actually doing more than he would otherwise. You know!?!” Clarke was on his 4th pint. “It’s like, they get mad ‘cos you don’t help out much on this big turkey meal with a salad, when the thing is, all you would have if it was up to you is prob’ly just a ham sandwich or something.”

“Those are the words,” I told him, “of a man who doesn’t want to get laid.”

“Ha!” Clarke bellowed.

3 comments:

Jon Coutts said...

This is my favourite chapter so far, by far. Glorious.

s$s said...

Hey. Thanks a lot. That inspires me. It makes me better.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah. I agree. How on earth did you think this up. It is a real conversation