Saturday, October 24, 2009

XLIX: Clarke X


“Hmm,” said Clarke.

I said nothing. We stood staring at the Trees from one of the winding pathways. He'd volunteered to join me on a mid-afternoon trek.

“So, this is what you do here,” he half-asked, half-stated. “Just look at ‘em?”

“Yes,” I said, embarrassed. Clarke examined some initials carved in one of the branches.

“So whadda you think caused it? Aliens?” He was mocking me a little.

“Yeah. Or something.”

“I meant the initials.”

“Oh. Ha. Good one.”

“'J.R loves K.T.’” he read. “It’s probably a code.” We stood listening to the wind. “They’re nice.” His arms pressed against the dying leaves.

“They’re scary."

“Yeah, maybe to a wimp like you.” He wandered off the path. I could guess what was coming. “They’re not so scary when you’re pissing on them.” I heard the sound of a zipper.

photograph by Ken Delgarno. More here.

4 comments:

Boyda said...

This is probably not at all related to your post, but today I saw a homeless man's penis.

Today, public indecency makes me want to throw up a little.

But, knowing Clark, I understand this. Did you regret taking him?

s$s said...

Ha. No, I didn't regret it. It was maybe a little indecent (maybe maybe maybe), but it wasn't really public.

Boyda said...

Sorry, I should clarify: I wondered if you regretted taking him overall (b/c he treated your fear etc. so flippantly), not because of his non-public maybe-indecency.

The other comments were just because...well, I was pretty traumatized, and you know,...I'll leave it there in case Clark ever reads this.

s$s said...

Boyda:

I don't know if you'll read this, but I've been thinking about your question for a while.

It didn't bother me that he was so flippant, but now I can't stop wondering why.