Thursday, October 22, 2009

XLVIII: Roger Shaw I

Transcript of phone conversation with Roger Shaw, Ph.D:

Me: …So, just to be clear, you’re alright with me taping this and then posting it on the internet?

ROGER SHAW: Yeah. Unless maybe you make a million dollars off it. [laughing]

M: [laughing] Okay, so my first question is, what drove you to want to study the Trees initially?

RS: Oh. Well. I think it probably has to trace back, I guess, to when I first heard about them.

M: When was that?

RS: When I was eight or nine. I'm from Minnesota. A relative from Saskatoon was telling my Father about these weird trees that grew crooked in Saskatchewan. I was listening in at the kitchen table. It freaked me out a little.

M: Really?

RS: Yeah. It felt like it should have been imaginary. So that frightened me. And then I walked into the room and saw a doodle my Father had been drawing while listening to the story. It must've had a strong effect on me, because when I was presented with the opportunity to study the trees as a grad student in Regina, I was quite enthusiastic.

M: Do you still have it by any chance? The drawing.

RS: I might.

Two days after the phone call I received an email with the above picture attached.

2 comments:

rockellea said...

I have been to been to the Tress once a few years ago and have thought about them ever since. Not because I had a dizzy spell or felt light headed.... but I really fell in love with them..... quit the opposite of you really, and when I look at this picture I cannot help but notice that the once trees are now stumps... It is as if the trees were taken and this drawing is showing by who....

I think this drawing is absolutely fascinating and powerful from my own perspective. I love the Trees and I love this "doodle"!

Anonymous said...

hi every person,

I identified thecrookedtrees.blogspot.com after previous months and I'm very excited much to commence participating. I are basically lurking for the last month but figured I would be joining and sign up.

I am from Spain so please forgave my speaking english[url=http://behindthescenesel.info/].[/url][url=http://paworlddiscovery.info/forum].[/url][url=http://inthehottesttopics.info/].[/url]