Tuesday, July 7, 2009

XXII: Anglican Church


They leave the Anglican church open. All night. So I go in sometimes and play the piano or read the hymn-books, pamphlets, and pew graffiti. Or I sign in as John Diefenbaker in the guestbook.

The pastor’s office isn’t locked either. I’ve resisted going in there up ‘till last night. Moment of weakness. All those pictures of family and friends, and that big map of Israel. Calvin and Hobbes cartoon on the door. Half-finished cup of coffee in a Styrofoam cup.

His library was all concordances and self-help books for couples. And The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha.

I saw the souls of the fathers of the world…

That’s from 3 Enoch 44:7. I saw the souls of the fathers of the world.

The souls of the fathers of the world. Christ, what does that mean?

At 2:30 am in the silence it means something. And then it's just words.

The Trees.

6 comments:

Boyda said...

Pleasure.

Jon Coutts said...

i think i've seen that office!

Boyda said...

Yeah so I don't really know what "Pleasure" means..but I really like how you treat the magical (ie. powerful but imaginary) qualities of language here. Perhaps that's what I was trying to say.

s$s said...

The imaginary qualities of language. Ha. I think I know what you mean.

Thanks Boyda.

You've pastored, Jon. What were your offices like?

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at the poetry of other, very entrenched writers. and to think people don't notice, for the sake of literalism.

I also have" pleasure" in the same way Boyda does. The mystical qualities of language. That is it. It always was. and you are wielding it well.

Anonymous said...

Hi all. How are you?