Sunday, July 26, 2009

XXVI: University of Manitoba


I dialed the number. After two rings I heard a woman's voice say, "Hello, Sciences and Technology Library."

"Hi. Yeah, I'd like to get a copy of a masters thesis written by one of your students in 1997."

"Umm... could I get your student I.D number?"

"I'm not a student."

"Oh, well, do you have a library card?"

"Nope."

"You'll need to come by the library to get a card for accessing..."

"Actually, I don't live near Winnipeg."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Are you from another university?"

"No, I'm a part-time cook in Hafford, Saskatchewan."

Long pause.

"What's the name of the thesis you're looking for?"

"It's called Ecology of the Crooked Bush by Roger Shaw. I'm pretty sure you guys have it, but I can't get access to search for it on your site."

Two or three breaths, then typing sounds.

"Alright," she said, "I think... Do you have a pen?"

"Uh, yeah. A pencil."

"I think the best person for you to talk to would probably be Marie at 204-474-7063."

I wrote it down. "Marie at two zero four, four seven four, seven zero six three?"

"Yes. Her information is on our website."

"Okay. Thanks."

"Good luck."

Did she really need to know I had a pencil, not a pen?

6 comments:

Jon Coutts said...

ha. i'm glad you told her.

Boyda said...

Yeah, wouldn't want to mislead her or anything ;).

I'll be in Winnipeg for a couple days over the next few weeks. Should I do some research for you?

s$s said...

Boyda:
Really? Would you? That'd be amazing.

Boyda said...

It'd be fun! I'm not really sure how long I'll be there, so I can't promise anything, but I'd love to try. David did attend the U of M, so he knows the campus.
We fly in on Aug. 4.

Marire from the grave said...

You dirty rat- you killed my brother!

s$s said...

Marire from the grave?