Friday, July 17, 2009

XXV: Where Eagles Dare


Woke early and enjoyed a cigarette. Heard the sound of light rain.

Sure enough.

I looked around my house, then outside. I thought of all the possible places I could go, and how I didn't want to go to any of them. My house is gray and uninspired. The weather keeps us imprisoned.

I put on a hat and jumped on my bike. Pedaled out to the Trees. I sat for a long time under their protective leaves, moisture from the ground soaking into my jeans.

What am I doing? 27 years old, still in Hafford, working 3 days a week as a cook/dishwasher.

"Am I wasting my life?" I asked Clarke an hour later in his kitchen as he offered -and I accepted- some toast and eggs. Coffee was brewing and Clarke was still in bedclothes, his hair tousled from another slightly hung-over sleep. He eyed me wearily. I paused and looked at a mountain goat magnet on his fridge. "I'm just venting. You don't need to actually say anything."

Clarke laughed. I yawned. He yawned. After breakfast we went to my place and wasted the remaining morning hours with some coffee, Clint Eastwood, and Richard Burton in Where Eagles Dare.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

fantastic transitions. He is inside and then donning hat and outside.

I am noting this, because sometimes it is difficult to get someone from inside to outside with few words.

s$s said...

Thanks for noticing. I spent way too much time figuring out how to be economical on this entry.

I've been noticing that, generally, I am less pleased with my longer entries. So I'm trying to get better at transitions.

Dave M said...

I liked where eagles dare. Though I think I like the poster more.

s$s said...

I know.

"One weekend Major Smith, Lieutenant Schaffer, and a beautiful blonde named Mary decided to win World War II."

Ha.

Dave M said...

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/dell-books/555-1.jpg

You should follow this link also. Love Forrest and Dave

s$s said...

"She learned about sex from an earth man"

Thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

We thought you'd appreciate her/it.