Saturday, November 14, 2009

LXIV: Clarke XI


“Clarke, there’s nothing in Hafford.” I told him this while sitting in the lookout shed at the dump. He sent a weary look in my direction. “I mean, there’s nothing. Just some houses and a couple stores.”

“So move to a big city then.”

“Yeah.” My self-pity transformed itself into self-boredom. “Damn.”

“Or have kids.”

"Ha."

I wandered over to the Trees later in the day. I ran my fingers over the bark. Then I pressed my cheek against a knot. I could feel lines forming on my skin. Breathing hard I waited for the imprint. Thirty seconds.

I'm out of cigarettes.

3 comments:

Boyda said...

I really like this post.

Anonymous said...

I should keep reading this so that I can say I have lived a full life.

Your fiction makes me feel things I have already done, and think about doing more things like them

s$s said...

Boyda:
Thanks.

Forrest:
What beautiful sentiments. Thank you.