Wednesday, August 19, 2009

XXXIII: Clarke VII


Woke up to the sound of a bird hitting my window. Put on some bacon, eggs, and Dylan’s Nashville Skyline -real quiet. Clarke came over for coffee before going to work. His eyes were wide and red, like he was forcing them open.

“It’s too early to be alive,” he said, sitting down.

“It’s 8:30.”

He grunted.

I pulled a joint out of my shirt-pocket and laid it on the table, for after breakfast.

“First thing in the morning?” laughed Clarke. “I wish I had your life.”

“You do have my life. You don’t need to work so much. What are these bills you’re rushing to pay?”

“Oh I know. But I don’t know what I’d do with myself if I didn’t work out there.”

“Okay. Fair enough.”

He left at 9. After breakfast I decided against the joint, and wandered over to the dump. Petesabooty met me at the gate. “How’m I supposed to beat the Trees, Pete?” I asked, throwing a broken hockey stick into a pile of ovens and refrigerators. The dog jumped into action. I could see Clarke in his loader across the yard, pushing stuff around. The sun was hot already.

Later, sitting in the lookout shed listening absently to CJNB with Clarke, he eyed me a little steadier than usual. “What are you doing spending all your time with a fifty year old?” he asked.

“I don’t like people my age, generally,” I answered. Which is true.

“That can't be healthy.”

“No?”

“No.”

“I dunno. I just see too much of myself in them, and I don’t like that. What’re you doing hanging out with a 27 year old?”

“I’m hoping you’ll bring some young girls around eventually.”

4 comments:

Jon Coutts said...

these last 3 entries have taken the telling to the next level

s$s said...

Thanks Jon. That's gratifying to hear actually, 'cos I've been putting more effort into this blog lately.

It's become a really valuable outlet for helping me work through this obsession I have. I feel like I'm on the verge of a personal breakthrough. Hopefully.

Plus, it's not like I don't have the time to devote to the blog; Four days of the week I mostly just wander around town smoking and thinking.

Boyda said...

"I've been putting more effort into this blog lately."

No shit.

s$s said...

Ha. It does gratify me to hear that the work is evident.